Have you considered the amount of rain that you can capture for your property? Just one inch of rain on 1,000 square feet of roof or hardscape produces over 600 gallons of free water. Although we’re reaching the end of San Diego’s rainy season, it’s never too early to prepare your property to capture the next rainfall.
The County of San Diego is hosting four free rainwater harvesting workshops at local hardware stores in East County. Residents living in the unincorporated County of San Diego can get a free rain barrel (one per address) when they register and attend one of the several rainwater harvesting workshops available. Attendees will also have an opportunity to receive guidance on their rain-capturing projects.
The program is sponsored by the County of San Diego Watershed Protection Program and is available on the following dates and locations:
- El Cajon Workshop at El Cajon Tractor Supply on Thursday, 5/25 at 6 p.m.
- Casa de Oro Workshop at Dixieline on Sunday, 6/4 at 10:30 a.m.
- Lakeside Workshop at Payton Hardware on Saturday, 6/10 at 10 a.m.
- Ramona Workshop at Ramona Tractor Supply on Sunday, 6/11 at 10:30 a.m.
Attendees at the in-person workshops will learn more about the following rain harvesting topics:
- The benefits of capturing rainwater.
- Methods of capturing rainwater on your property.
- How much rainwater you can catch.
- How to install a rain barrel.
- Rain barrel maintenance.
- Available rebates for more rain barrels via the Waterscape Rebate Program.
Unincorporated San Diego County residents - learn more about the workshops and sign up here.